Friday, March 8, 2013

Using Haiku Deck in Grade 1-2

I was thinking of a way my students could present the information they gathered about the nocturnal animals we researched. At first I considered using Kidpix, but then I remembered that we have Haiku Deck on our iPads. I had never used Haiku Deck, but when I looked at it, I was immediately drawn to the pictures [from Flickr] you can use.

Once they learned where the buttons were, Haiku Deck was easy for the students to use.

Not only did the students make great presentations with it, but we also had some great discussions while making them.

  • Presentation slides have titles as well and they should be in larger font
  • The fewer the words the better
  • You do not want to cover up the picture with text
  • The animal they researched does not have to be on each slide
  • Citing work is "a way of saying thank you" - Jeff Utecht
There were others which I forgot, but it was fun to do this with my class. 

The best part of all of this was that some of them went home and downloaded Haiku Deck to their own iPads. I can't wait to see what they come up with.






2 comments:

  1. So awesome.

    It's amazing that G 1+2 kids can make these - and so easily!
    Great to see them learning the basics of effective visual presentations. Can they come share their expertise with my students??

    ReplyDelete